POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : My first contribution troubres! : Re: My first contribution troubres! Server Time
18 Apr 2024 16:36:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My first contribution troubres!
From: Chris B
Date: 20 Aug 2008 19:45:30
Message: <48acac9a@news.povray.org>
"Leroy Whetstone" <lrw### [at] joplincom> wrote in message
news:48A### [at] joplincom...
> I found the javascript error code(it was where ya thought) it's:
>
> Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Index or size is negative or
> greater than the allowed amount"  code: "1" nsresult: "0x80530001
> (NS_ERROR_DOM_INDEX_SIZE_ERR)"  location:
> "http://lib.povray.org/js/submission.js Line: 984"]

Ah! On a positive note, Netscape seems to give good error messages. On a
less positive note this seems to be a bug in NS7.

The Javascript line it's complaining about (984) inserts a new row into the
table that contains the list of files. This line does indeed use a negative
index (-1) which should insert the new row at the end of the table.
Unfortunately, on Googling this issue, I see that Netscape 7 had a bug
dating back to 2002 and didn't handle this as it should do to be compliant
with the DOM standards. Netscape apparently agreed to fix this, and if they
did so then subsequent versions of Netscape shouldn't suffer from this
problem.

I see that Netscape got up to Version 9 before AOL pulled the plug.  You can
download a newer version from http://browser.netscape.com/releases if you
want to try that. Otherwise I can confirm that neither IE 7 nor Firefox 2
suffer from this bug.

Not an ideal answer I know, but the only work-around I spotted so far would
mean making quite significant changes to that section of code (which took
quite some time to get working in the first place).

Regards,
Chris B.