POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Moray for Mac? : Re: Moray for Mac? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 05:30:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moray for Mac?
From: Chris Cason
Date: 31 Mar 2008 06:57:12
Message: <47f0d198$1@news.povray.org>
John D. Gwinner wrote:
> That might be hard, Moray is mostly written in C++/MFC.
>
> I used to have a cross platform SDK to convert MFC programs on teh windows
> to Mac, but it was expensive ($2500), and isn't supported anymore.  (pretty
> long ago).
>
> I did have a thought about converting it to c# ... if we did that, then it
> would be pretty cross platform.

I don't think the language is the issue here - it's the support and UI
libraries. POV-Ray is quite portable given our use of the boost libraries
for handling platform-specific stuff and a requirement for a modern c++
compiler, and Moray ought to be the same, albeit with the difficulty that
it has GUI.

Provided the MFC stuff is removed in favour of something else, plus any
windows-specific non-MFC-isms fixed, the port should be fine in C++. Of
course the above is a lot of work. With Moray going GPL3 we have a number
of cross-plaform UI options open to us, including QT (for example).

-- Chris