POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : MORAY programmers wanted : Re: MORAY programmers wanted Server Time
16 Apr 2024 05:26:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MORAY programmers wanted
From: Warp
Date: 19 Mar 2008 01:43:09
Message: <47e0b5fc@news.povray.org>
PdizzyD <pet### [at] amxinccom> wrote:
> I am not a C++ programmer but do know C and Java.

  I'm sorry if I sound blunt, but personally I would recommend having
real C++ experience. Both C and Java experience are actually rather
counter-productive for someone who then tries to program in C++ for
the first time (and the combination of both C and Java may make things
even worse).

  This is because programming practices which are good in C, and especially
programming practices which are good in Java, are often programming practices
which are bad in C++. C++ may resemble both C and Java, but it really isn't.
What may be a good idea in one of those latter languages may often be a bad
idea in C++.

  Please don't take this personally. I just have seen C++ code written by
Java programmers which has been quite horrible. (I'm not saying you would
create such code, but it seems to be a common trend. Java simply teaches
"bad habits" from the point of view of C++ programming.)

--
                                                          - Warp