POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : _The Mother Hive_ comments : _The Mother Hive_ comments Server Time
25 Apr 2024 07:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  _The Mother Hive_ comments
From: Shay
Date: 26 Nov 2007 18:26:35
Message: <474b562b$1@news.povray.org>
Missed the comment window, and even the proposed two-week window for
commenting would long since have passed by now, but I noticed today on
the site that there was NO feedback at all on the images, so, in the
interest of supporting Steve's endeavor, I am going to provide some here.

"Queen's Harem" by lequenne:
Anton Lavey once published a five-point outline of "Pentagonal
Revisionism" towards which his adherents should work. Points four and
five are:

  4. "Development and production of artificial companions ...Polite,
sophisticated, technologically feasible slavery."
  5. "The opportunity for anyone to live within a total environment of
his or her choice, with mandatory adherence to the aesthetic and
behavioral standards of same"

Your image brought these points to mind, along with "Ughh! Not ANOTHER
naked poser girl!" My understanding of the female mind is that a female
would prefer her harem continually battling each other for her affection
rather than locked away waiting in drawers - especially if, as the
"Mother" concept suggests, she is keeping this harem for the purpose of
procreation. Perhaps this is a barren queen who, refusing to admit her
procreational inviability, is searching desperately for a serviceable
mate. There are lots of places you could have gone beyond cyber-titillation.

"Concerned Hive" by Nudel:
A clean-looking scene even with the blotchiness. Nice bees. Can't say I
laughed at your humor, but the concept of _MotherING Hive_ has enough
interest to carry this simple entry.

"Swarm" by Afishionad:
The image is a compliment to your story, but doesn't "do" much on its
own. Some indication that this was the first (Mother) hive of the
invasion would  have made this more interesting. Where did they
choose/happen to land? What were the immediate consequences? Why might
the problem have been ignored for some amount of time? What remains of
the measures man has taken against this particular hive? Did man perhaps
unwittingly contribute to the spread of these hives? Conflict (the
destruction of the planet) only propels a story, it doesn't create one.

"Lot 271828 - Silver and Gold" by stephen:
A blunt pictorial account of a magical ceremony. How the clan expect to
benefit from this ceremony is unclear. Some magic to keep the women
young is how this usually works, I guess. With a VERY, VERY, VERY deep
understanding of the history of your fictional world, the knowledge that
such a clan committed human sacrifice might indeed be shocking. Looking
at the picture alone, it is not clear to me that a human sacrifice is
taking place at all.

"The Mother Hive" by ThomdeG:
I appreciate the work of all those who are prolific and resolute enough
to keep this challenge going through the early stages. With an
experienced artist like yourself, many "whys" come to mind when a new
work is presented. I believe, however, given the pace you have been
keeping, that the answer to most of these "whys" would be the same:
expedience. Pods on stilts, eh? Perhaps the mothers should have built it
stronger; These totalitarian utopias never seem to last long before the
"barbarism" of the subjugated returns to the surface.

"The Homecoming" by Steve:
Robotic flying ants with high-collared humanoid heads? MUST be 25ct. You
do things that no other person in this community would. Of course the
ants are dusty -they've been working all day-, but I wouldn't have
thought of it (and I'm a worker). These tiny hints of
anthropomorphisation and "cybermorphisation" give this image a nice
WTF-ness. Glad to see your skewed perspective coming out in your
challenge entries.

  -Shay