POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : 13 days to go, and a question re: voting on TC-RTC... : Re: 13 days to go, and a question re: voting on TC-RTC... Server Time
20 Apr 2024 02:02:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 13 days to go, and a question re: voting on TC-RTC...
From: Markus Altendorff
Date: 19 Aug 2007 06:02:53
Message: <46c8154d@news.povray.org>
dbott wrote:
> Well, I am looking forward to seeing your animation and Johns.......????? It
> inspires me to keep on learning new rendering techniques with pov. I spent
> most of Saturday learning Carneholm smoke generator that follows a spline.
> By the end of the afternoon I managed to produce a small test.
> http://www.eastsoundsuites.com/animations/smoke.mpg

That's a nice start! You may want to play with the StartTurb
and TurbIncRate settings of the generator to get a smoke
that dissolves over time.

Of course, smoke/volume media eats CPU cycles like little
else... no matter which software. In Cinema, there's the
"PyroCluster" plugin suite to get those effects, since it
doesn't know anything like the PovRay media effects AFAIK.
They start out with a default "trace step" of 1 by default,
which in my scenes usually means 1 = 1 cm. Hint: slooooow.

For this reason, i've kept well away from these effects...

Since this time i definitely need a menacing mass of fiery
rolling clouds (if only to hide the fact that my
demon/dragon model has no feet ;), i've caved in and read
the manual. After this, i've upped the trace step distance
to 60 and shrunk the precision to 1%. Result: 1 frame ever
30 seconds. Happy :)

Oh, and i learned that the plasma noise that creates the
cloud-like structure has a parameter called "phase" which
needs to be animated by hand - the default non-animated
setting makes "copies of a frozen fireball floating up to
the ceiling while slowly turning black" :)

Well, at least it works now for an animation. A freeze frame
looks a bit "blotchy" and artefacts-ridden and would need
much more render time...

-M