POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : Poseray: what controls the specular size? : Re: Poseray: what controls the specular size? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 07:48:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poseray: what controls the specular size?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 20 Jul 2007 03:53:10
Message: <46a069e6$1@news.povray.org>
I did a little test with Silo too.

Silo has a material parameter called 'shininess', which controls the size of
the specular highlights. By default, it is at value 127. This translates in
Poseray to Specular Size 1, and hence to POV-Ray to a roughness of
approximately 0.002

In the same way:
a shininess value of 10 in Silo, translates to Specular Size 10 and
roughness 0.02443085
a shininess value of 20 in Silo, translates to Specular Size 5 and roughness
0.01244878
a shininess value of 30 in Silo, translates to Specular Size 3 and roughness
0.007655948
a shininess value of 40 in Silo, translates to Specular Size 3 and roughness
0.007655948
a shininess value of 50 in Silo, translates to Specular Size 2 and roughness
0.005259534
a shininess value of 60 in Silo, translates to Specular Size 2 and roughness
0.005259534

I assume (but I may be wrong) that shininess plays a fairly identical role
to 'glossiness' in DS. However, it works consistently as is shown by the
test.

Thomas