POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : Incursion into the Hair Room: Problems with Poseray : Re: Incursion into the Hair Room: Problems with Poseray Server Time
20 Apr 2024 09:37:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Incursion into the Hair Room: Problems with Poseray
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Jun 2007 07:58:52
Message: <467a67fc$1@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> schreef in bericht
The second image in p.b.i. illustrates the comments I give here.

> In a second phase, which I want first to explore a little more (especially
> concerning the material part), I have converted the lines to ribbons, and
> I can already say that those export correctly (in terms of scale and
> location) and as mesh2 objects to POV-Ray. However, changing the width of
> the ribbons in Poseray seems not to work... Furthermore, using the
> ribbons, I wonder if one should not now use an adequate hair image map,
> combined with a transparant map, to get a correct result. I shall explore
> those possibilities.

Comments:

What I did for the second image was add hair image maps in Poser (add a
little breeze) and convert the lines to ribbons in Poseray. The geometry
file is 35MB (hair density in Poser says 2046 hairs). A first experiment
with 'Breaks' >2, did not decrease the ribbon width, although I had also
divided Root- and Tip width by 10. I am not sure what 'Breaks' do to the
ribbons...

The shown image has Root width = 0.001 and Tip width = 0.0005 and Breaks =
2.

I did not export the Lines from Poseray. This works well, but an empty
union{} is created in the geometry file, leading to a warning message.

The use of image maps seems to work well, although I am not sure if scale is
correct, nor if the bump map and transparancy map are doing their job.

From the shadow, it looks like the sphere is not casting any. I cannot
explain this.

A render with radiosity becomes very slow.

The results are - I believe - encouraging as far as dynamic hair is
concerned. The export by Poseray looks already satisfying but needs further
improvements.

Thomas