POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Website Update : Re: Website Update Server Time
19 Apr 2024 16:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Website Update
From: John VanSickle
Date: 26 Apr 2007 19:34:14
Message: <463136f6@news.povray.org>
stm31415 wrote:
> "Greg M. Johnson" <pte### [at] thecommononethatstartswithYcom> wrote:
>
>>I fully agree with Shay's analysis of there being a problem.
>>
>>The solution I came up with for the first shortest code contest was to have
>>folks rank their favorite six entries. That way the 0 vs 20 scenario was
>>out.
>>

> Yeah, this method is so much cleaner --- and lets you concentrate on
> commenting, rather than trying to wiggle the scores into a ranking you
> like. I use a top five ranking on meetsoup.com, but it's the same concept.
> (Actually, I wanted to go all out to instant runoffs, but that seemed a
> little much)

Another possible voting mechanism is to put all of the anims in a binary
tree, like a sports tournament.  Each voter gets their own tree,
populated randomly, and lacking their own entry if they're an entrant.
Then each voter goes through each pair, choosing one to advance to the
next level, until they've picked first, second, 3-4, 5-6-7-8, and so on.

Then count the number of wins that each entry gets from all voters.

Regards,
John