POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : So, what are we gonna do? : Re: So, what are we gonna do? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 09:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: So, what are we gonna do?
From: St
Date: 11 Mar 2007 04:49:39
Message: <45f3d0b3$1@news.povray.org>
"Mike the Elder" <zer### [at] wyanorg> wrote in message
> First of all, thanks a bunch, Steve, for doing a great job hosting the
> TINA
> CheP round.
>
> Secondly, I suggest we pick a fun topic for March/April straight away so
> that folks will have plenty of time to work.  I'll toss out the "Before
> and
> After" idea again because I think it would give people a lot of creative
> options both technically and artistically, but another topic would be
> welcome - as long it was named SOON.  If this is going to be an ongoing
> enterprise, we will, of course, want to set up a method of selecting
> topics
> that gives participants an opportunity to have input  and an opportunity
> for
> discussion.  For the upcoming round, however, I hereby nominate ~Steve~
> for
> the post of One-Time-Benevolent-Topic-Dictator. (Seconds?)

      Well, I think we've got a system that's going to work fine for now.
Based on Greg M. Johnson' idea of using old book titles from the Gutenberg
Project, we now have a text file that's been whittled down to around 750
titles. This file could then be loaded into a small program that I have
called 'The Hat'. Basically, it shuffles the list for however long you want
it to run, and then you hit STOP, and the one at the top of the list is the
topic. I tried it earlier with some impressive titles/topics being shown. As
Greg has mentioned on the IRTC mailing list, you wouldn't have to depict the
title literally if you didn't want to, but use the words of that title in
any way that you want.

    Typical examples:
    "The Son Of The Wolf" by Jack London.
    "The Bee's And The Flies" by Rudyard Kipling.

     How does this sound so far?

     ~Steve~