POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : PNG output much brighter than preview... : Re: PNG output much brighter than preview... Server Time
19 Apr 2024 19:38:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PNG output much brighter than preview...
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 15 Jan 2007 05:05:36
Message: <45ab51f0@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Gamma, gamma, gamma... Each time I read something about gamma, it's
> a problem with it. It seems to me that gamma only causes problems and
> doesn't actually solve any. There are tons and tons of graphical
> software out there which do just *fine* without any gamma at all to
> worry about.
>
>   How about if we dropped everything related to gamma from povray?

Why? It works, it is just that people need to read the release notes stating
how to use it in 3.7 to get 3.6 results and also complain to those programs
that do not support PNG properly. The reason you hear complains it because
(surprise), M$ has, I would guess intentionally, never supported PNG
properly. But as M$ dominates the market, those not understanding how M$
handles standards it dislikes fall for the trap and blame POV-Ray. Of
course, the question then arises why the same people insist on using PNG in
the first place - my motto in this regard is: Either know what you are
doing, or don't do it :-(

In short, there is no problem at all. POV-Ray functions properly, and the
feature is trivial to turn off by reading the documentation as well.

	Thorsten