POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : Poseray 3.10.0.403: is this a bug? : Re: Poseray 3.10.0.403: is this a bug? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 00:30:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poseray 3.10.0.403: is this a bug?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 18 Dec 2006 02:57:10
Message: <458649d6@news.povray.org>
"FlyerX" <fly### [at] yahoocom> schreef in bericht
> Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> This is what happens here:
>>
>> 1. make a figure in Poser (5 or 6)
>> 2. save it in compressed format (pzz) and export as obj file
>> 3. import in Poseray
>>
>> Everything goes well until Poseray tries to decompress the Poser file.
>> Then the program freezes with the message: I/O error 103. You have to
>> close the program.
>> This does not happen if the Poser figure is saved in uncompressed (pz3)
>> format.
>>
>> Is this a bug? or is it just me?
>>
>> Thomas
> Thomas,
>
> I tried two compressed poser scene files: One with a simple car figure and
> one with V4. Both were decompressed properly by PoseRay. What figure did
> you try? I have Poser 6.0.3.139 for Win32.

Thank you for answering so quick!
I was afraid it would not be that simple :-(
I am using Poser 6.0.3.140 for Win32.
I tried several figures: James and Kate, both in their basic appearance. In
Poser 5 I tried Ben.

> PoseRay decompresses the file and saves a temporary copy of it on the
> drive and directory where the pzz is located. Maybe you are running out of
> space where the pzz file is?

No. That seems out of the question as far as I can tell. There is more than
enough space on my drive. Poseray freezes immediately at the start of
decompressing the file, after it has read the obj file and made a list of
needed materials. A white representation of the figure appears in the view
window.
As said, the non-compressed figures load fine, so it it is seems to be
specifically the compression where the glitch occurs.

Ran again Poseray to see what happens exactly. The error message (I/O error
103) appears in a separate window, headed by "Poseray - name.obj". Does this
mean that the obj file is the culprit? On the other hand, that same obj file
is working correctly when the figure is saved as pz3....

> Right now I am working on PoseRay to detect some basic material node
> properties so it can load specular maps from a poser file. Just to make
> PoseRay more compatible with V4, Miki and newer models that use more
> advanced materials.

Looking forward to that!

Thomas