POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature I missed in old versions. Implemented now? : Re: Feature I missed in old versions. Implemented now? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 01:11:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature I missed in old versions. Implemented now?
From: Warp
Date: 24 Oct 2006 16:53:40
Message: <453e7d54@news.povray.org>
Arnero <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Is it possible to use photon mapping to simulate optical pumping of the
> gain medium

  You could try to give the object (which the photons are passing through)
a color higher than 1, but I have never tested whether that works in
practice.

> Is it possible to use a fine representation of the spectrum for better
> simulation of chromatic errors in lenses, or for simulation of a
> spectrometer

  You can fake the look of chromatic dispersion by using the 'dispersion'
feature in POV-Ray (see the documentation), but it's probably not even
close to the physically correct dispersion of real lenses.

> Is it possible to use PovRay as a design tool for lens systems (or Beamer
> optics) and if not why not?

  Only if you are not going to simulate chromatic aberration. If you need
to simulate that, then I don't think POV-Ray can do a physically correct
job in that field.

  (Ok, it may be possible to approximate reality by using trickery,
perhaps by using several light sources in the same place, each colored
differently and each in a light_group with a copy of the object otherwise
identical but with different IORs. However, I have never tried this kind
of thing, so I can't say for sure.)

> Have you integrated FreeSnell to simulate multilayer optics?

  Some kind of frensell reflection is supported in POV-Ray, but once again
I can't assure how physically correct it is.

--
                                                          - Warp