POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ringworld re-re-revisited : Re: Ringworld re-re-revisited Server Time
25 Apr 2024 03:57:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ringworld re-re-revisited
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 27 Oct 2005 08:51:22
Message: <4360cd4a@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
> Just in case any of you were getting bored of ringworlds...
>
> This is a substantial improvement on my previous effort. The ring is
pretty
> much the dimensions stated in the book (and elsewhere here) - 90 million
> miles in radius (although it should be 95 I believe), with 20 shadow
> squares orbiting 12 million miles from the sun. The sun is an area_light 1
> million miles in diameter.
>
> The atmospheric effects are of course the most difficult, and in this
regard
> I cheated somewhat - the haze is merely a ground fog, and the blue sky is
> semitransparent sky sphere about a million miles wide, i.e. between the
> camera and the arch.
>
> I think the landscape is of realistic dimensions, but sadly the clouds are
> slightly exaggerated - they are 200 miles in the air, with the camera at
an
> altitude of 100 miles. The reason for this is that I couldn't place the
> camera any lower without some kind of precision artifact creeping into the
> lower half of the image (I'll post an example in a bit).

Excellent images, both of them! The atmosphere is much better than in my own
experiments. I am afraid that we have to cheat a bit to get it really right.
In truth, because of the dimensions, the whole *foreground* is a landscape
in itself, almost separate from the background arch.

Thomas