POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Hmm... 'Minimalism'... : Re: Hmm... 'Minimalism'... Server Time
19 Apr 2024 02:54:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hmm... 'Minimalism'...
From: Ross
Date: 8 Jul 2005 15:34:46
Message: <42ced556$1@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:42cea765$1@news.povray.org...
> ...I would like to think that this subject might break all submission
> records for the IRTC. And, I guess I'd better brush up on my radiosity
> settings, which at the moment, are <0, 0, 0>.  ;)
>
>    ~Steve~

It's actually a pretty tough subject I think. I did some searches for
examples of minimalist art. While they were minimal, they were still really
interesting. Try doing that, and being successfull at it. There is a
difference between apparent simplicity and simplicity. I think Tek's example
of glass recently in p.b.i was almost spot on for minimalism. Nothing
distracts from the image, but it's not just a glass object on a plain
background.

I think the trick of pulling off minimalism is making the viewer think it's
simpler than it is, while still maintaining whatever other "-ism" your are
trying to do... realism, surrealism, cubism, etc.

In a short hour I banged out something I liked. It could take days refining
it though. This round opens itself up to a study in lighting, composition,
and realistic textures.