POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Problems with scenes\lights\glassthing.pov (beta3) : Re: Problems with scenes\lights\glassthing.pov (beta3) Server Time
19 Apr 2024 01:26:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems with scenes\lights\glassthing.pov (beta3)
From: Chris Cason
Date: 4 May 2005 15:17:23
Message: <42791fc3@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   If I comment out the photons block then it renders something much
> more resembling the result of pov3.6, but it's still problematic.
>
>   Firstly, the shadow is completely black with 3.7beta3 even though
> it's much lighter with 3.6.

Fixed, thanks.

>   Secondly, the rendertime is obnoxiously longer. While pov3.6 renders
> the image (at 512x256 without antialiasing) in about 3 seconds,
> pov3.7beta3-sse2 renders it in 4 minutes 13 seconds. The rendering
> gets stuck at a couple of places.

Fixed, thanks. This was a major problem which has been bothering me for ages;
I finally tracked it down to the fact that the ComputeTextureColour() was
ignoring the absense of a multi-texture flag and potentially performing a
full-depth (up to max_trace_level) trace for each texture it found. In the
case of the blobs in glassthing.pov the sub-components of the blob caused
these extra rays to be cast. It would have affected CSG and meshes too.

I'll probably release a beta.4 soon with this fix.

-- Chris