POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Why I won't enter PoVComp again. : Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again. Server Time
23 Apr 2024 04:19:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again.
From: Ross
Date: 24 Feb 2005 17:28:05
Message: <421e54f5$1@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:421e4414@news.povray.org...

> "ABX" <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:50:37 -0000, "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> >> It should be called "POVONLYCOMP"!
> >
> > Let me just quote invitation message for POVCOMP: "The aim of POVCOMP
2004
> > is
> > to show the full potential of POV-Ray."
>
>   Then I was right. So why entice 'other' povray users, ABX? Numbers
maybe?
> Sorry ABX, but I am pissed with this - and if anyone thinks it's "sour
> grapes", you're SO wrong. I want to learn POV the way *I* want to learn
it,
> and use it. That's what it's there for. To use.
>
>  ~Steve~
>

> > ABX

I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the contest guidelines, ah found it...

[quote]
Modeling
Negative: low detail meshes in foreground, figures floating above ground or
penetrating it, sharp edges where rounded ones are expected in nature,
obvious use of bump mapping, etc.
Positive: detailed selfmade models, realistic algorithmically generated
stuff like trees, plants, cloth, etc.
Special focus on how much is self made and what scene elements are based on
3rd party models.
[end quote]

3rd party models, and 3rd party modellers are entirely different. You hit
the "special focus on how much is self made", but you missed the
"algorithmically generated", judging by your description in this thread.
Which image is yours though? I was searching the pages for "Steve" and
didn't find anything.

"full potential of povray." doing something entirely in CSG doesn't explore
the full potential one bit (i agree with you here). Neither does using all
mesh models, however the ability to use 3rd party models is a capability of
POV.
While i think you have a right to be upset at the judges bias towards
non-mesh models, i think it's a bit overly dramatic. Still, I was sort of
surprised by their bluntness in this area.

I was going to say, "Look at 'Victoria's World'. It uses non-pov things
pretty extensively and got 3rd place", then i noticed this comment basically
saying, "It would never win because it used so many things not directly made
in POV." So i guess, the more I talk, the more i'm siding with you.

[quote]
The detail level is extremely high and there is good use made of POV-Ray's
features, but the predominant use of external models (e.g. Victoria, the
Dosch houses, Chris Colefax's Lens Effects include, Gilles Tran's MakeGrass)
prevented it from making it further in my mind.
[quote]