POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Why I won't enter PoVComp again. : Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again. Server Time
23 Apr 2024 14:48:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again.
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 24 Feb 2005 17:07:22
Message: <421e501a$1@news.povray.org>
"Renderdog" <slo### [at] hiwaaynet> wrote in message
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
>>   Then I was right. So why entice 'other' povray users, ABX? Numbers
>> maybe?
>> Sorry ABX, but I am pissed with this - and if anyone thinks it's "sour
>> grapes", you're SO wrong. I want to learn POV the way *I* want to learn
>> it,
>> and use it. That's what it's there for. To use.
>
> POVComp's existence doesn't prevent you from using POV-Ray however you
> wish, it was a voluntary contest. How you were "tempted" and "enticed"
> to use it I'm not sure I want to know :-), but you certainly weren't
> forced and the rules and guidelines were there for all to read.

Perhaps I'll comment more on Steve's post later, but I believe that
POVCOMP's prizes were simply too large for such a relatively small
community.  That led to a lot of anxiety among the entrants.  Additionally,
if there is another POVCOMP with comparable prizes, I don't think the people
at the top will change very much.  Sure, some people may break in and out,
but it's unlikely that I'm going to suddenly be able to create a scene as
well as the winners.  It's not that I'm not smart enough (I hope), it's
simply that I'm not experienced enough.  There is a big quality gap going
from the first few images to the other images in the top 25.  While
exceptions occur, it's generally unlikely that most of us will be closing
that gap in the next few months.

So...  If you want to compete, it becomes like running the New York
Marathon.  Do all 30,000 people really think they might win?  Certainly not.
They do it because it's there, they enjoy finding out what they are capable
of.  They enjoy seeing someone else win.

As I stated in off-topic recently, I think most of us here would be happiest
if we simply got a free poster from Zazzle for a top finish.  That creates
much less pressure, and in the end, I think there would be more POV-Ray
art/renders/stuff to show.  Perhaps POVCOMP "overachieved" in regards to
prizes.  It certainly squeezed out some good stuff, though, so my point is
debatable.

I hope this comment is well-received.  As I've already said, I can guess how
difficult it was to get sponsors, and I appreciate the work that was done to
bring POVCOMP to us.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com