POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : photography to povcomp equivalence? : Re: photography to povcomp equivalence? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 18:07:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: photography to povcomp equivalence?
From: scott
Date: 8 Feb 2005 08:23:53
Message: <4208bd69$1@news.povray.org>
pan wrote:
> http://www.gigapxl.org/gallery.htm
>
> http://www.gigapxl.org/gallery-GGSunset.htm
>

> This site, displaying photographs taken with a
> eight gigapixel camera seems to show evidence that
> the information contained within a povcomp style
> image is better reprensented at detailed levels
> than the same scale of data is represented through
> optical photography.
>
> I.E., the loss of edtail and resolution evident in the
> sectional displays of the overall photograph would
> not occur with a Pov-Ray generated image.
>
> Anyone agree, or see else of significance?

It's a bit of a meaningless comparison.  I can render a 1 mm sphere on top
of a 6400 km sphere, then zoom in on the little sphere and it will all be
perfectly sharp.  No optical system can match this.

The realy challenge is, can *you* model enough detail in POV to make it look
real at those zoom levels?  I doubt it.