POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : How important... : Re: How important... Server Time
24 Apr 2024 18:07:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How important...
From: St
Date: 30 Jan 2005 16:45:04
Message: <41fd5560@news.povray.org>
"Jeremy M. Praay" <sla### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:41fb7c50@news.povray.org...
>> How important are the detail images when it comes to judging? What if
>> minor things have been missed in one detail image? (And I mean so minor,
>> that you just can't see them in your main image).
>>

> Not an answer, since it looks like others have answered quite well...
> More of a slight ramble...
>
> In many cases, things look best in the detail views and not in the main
> image.

You've obviously done the 'large image' thing before, and I haven't. My
detail images look terrible. :/ I used a couple of image_maps and they look
ok in my main image, but they are SO pixelated in my details, I've got no
hope... Still, I hope you (all) enjoy the concept.

 I'm currently rendering "the poster" at 4800x3600 and I'm quite
> pleased with the way many details look in high-rez.  While I hold out a
> hope of winning, I'm planning to buy my own poster regardless, so this
> will not be a wasted effort for me.

  I would love to buy mine, but not as it is. I'll hold out until I sort it,
(a coupla tweaks! damn!), and then buy it. Heh, I might even buy yours when
you win Jeremy!  ;)

> I'm quite certain that I've lost nearly all objectivity regarding my
> image. As I've said before, some days I think it's the best thing ever
> created, and other days it looks very mediocre to me.

    Well I'm happy with mine for the main image, but this 'detail' thing
sure knocked the wind out of me... I *WISH* someone would have said
something beforehand...

On the bright-side, it looks quite
> similar to what I thought it would look like (in my head), so I really
> can't complain too much.  Even if it's the best image I have ever created,
> I'm sure that guarantees nothing in this competition.

     True, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

> Anyway, I'm anxious to get started on new projects and to resume old ones.
> It's been a long road.  I feel like I should propose a toast.  ;-)

    LOL!  :)  "To all PoVers, keep on PoVin'".

   And yes, a 'very' long road indeed.

     ~Steve~