POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : DAZ and megapov's simcloth : Re: DAZ and megapov's simcloth Server Time
24 Apr 2024 15:00:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DAZ and megapov's simcloth
From: regdo
Date: 27 Jan 2005 15:53:53
Message: <41f954e1$1@news.povray.org>
Jeremy M. Praay wrote:

> There are a few tricks you can try.  You can make portions of the model
> non-visible within Poser or DAZ|Studio (I believe).  Or, you can
> "difference" out portions of the model where their skin sticks through.  Or,
> you can make your cloth slightly larger (scale 1.1).  Or, you can offset the
> cloth by a certain amount.

Thanks for your answer.
Let me be more precise : The effect I wanted is a piece of cloth on the
arm of the character (the one you lay on on the beach, I can't remember
the english name.). So I made him put his arm horizontally, in front of
him, defined the cloth piece as a rectangle laying on top of it
(actually, over it, to be sure it would not be partly inside the mesh)
and let it drop on the arm. The only part of the body exported from
poseray was the arm. Its skin is obviously the right way (at least
according to the normals I can see in poseray, I'm not skilled enough to
determine it "by eye" just looking at the mesh statement). That's why I
don't understand why the top part of the arm is "transparent" to the
cloth (and furthermore why the *bottom* part of it is not !). I have
absolutely no idea of what went wrong on that unsuccessful try, and can
see no way to get rid of that stupid effet.
A cone approximating the arm give a good result, but it lacks the
bumpness if the "real" arm. It does not give the effect I wanted. For
now, I have abandoned that part to concentrate on other features of my
scene, but I loved that idea and am really disappointed I could not
realize it.
Is there any difference between a poser5-exported character and a
DAZ-exported one ? I thought there would not, at least from the "mesh"
point of view.
Though I do plan to buy Poser, I'll have to wait a little : it's not as
cheap as DAZ (and much more complex) !