POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Results : Re: Results Server Time
19 Apr 2024 02:03:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Results
From: Thomas A  Fine
Date: 29 Nov 2004 13:54:01
Message: <41ab7049$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

Several commenters on my piece - computer - said they would liked to have
seen the anti-aliased version.  One of the commenters (Jussi Kantola)
suggested I post it to the povray newsgroups, so I'm doing that here.

  http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~fine/POV/pov.html

This web page shows a smaller anti-aliased image, with links to the
submitted image, and the fullsize anti-aliased image.  These are
all the same image with no changes (except maybe the number of elements
in the area lights - next time I'll try jittering).

As much as I'd love to tinker with this image, I'm focusing on ripping
out the objects I made for it and packaging them as separate files for
free download, also available on the above web page.  And improving
them while I'm at it.  There's some other objects from an older project
I'm also cleaning up, including a very cool (IIDSSM) magnifying
bathroom mirror.  It's going to take a while to get everything done, so
if there's something in particular that yo want that I haven't
separated out, send me mail and I'll try to make it a priority.

So I was surprised gtheme did so well.  I mean, there's really nothing
special going on there in terms of modelling or textures.  The magnet
toys do look nice, but repeating something over and over again is not
that hard (otherwise I'd get major points for my keyboard, which even
has individually labelled keys - ok, I'll stop whining).

On the other hand, I think beadwire is beautiful in its simplicity, and
includes some subtelty that was probably harder to do than it looks
(did anyone else notice the wood texture showing through the paint on
the beads? - it looks very realistic).

I guess there's a lesson in there.  Better to do easy things that look
hard, than hard things that look easy.

	tom