POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Competition status : Competition status Server Time
23 Apr 2024 10:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Competition status
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 23 Oct 2004 14:13:46
Message: <417a9f5a$1@news.povray.org>
Hello

Disclaimer: this is not an official statement. An official annoucement from
the POVCOMP organisers will follow (some details are still being worked on)
and participants will be emailed privately.

There are 56 entries. Among these, there are exceptional images, that would
be worthy of the main prizes. People have been working hard, and these
images are a good testimony of what can be achieved with POV-Ray.

However, these exceptional images are too few. The competition was all about
getting the best out of POV-Ray, and while most entries are very good, they
are on the whole not up to the standard that can be observed in current 3D
contests. It's not an easy thing to say and we understand that this may be
offending to some. Be sure that we fully realise the amount of work that was
put in all entries: it's just that the bar has been raised very high in 3D
these days. The feedback on the new hall of fame was extremely positive:
this newfound reputation should not be squandered. We all know that POV-Ray
is an exceptional piece of software, so we need lots of exceptional artworks
to prove it.

One major reason for the lack of exceptional pieces may have been that the
time period of two and a half months was too short. POVCOMP is of an order
of magnitude harder than the IRTC, and the organisers underestimated the
time needed to create this sort of work without giving up on real life.
People couldn't find the time to complete their entries, and among those
submitted, we feel that many can be improved.

Accordingly, it has been decided to postpone the deadline until January 31,
2005. That's almost 3 additional months for people to resume or complete
their work, or submit new ones.
In a nutshell:
- Those of you who have submitted an image will be given the opportunity to
unsubmit it and resume work.
- Those of you who did not submit due to lack of time are encouraged to
resume work on their creation.
- For those who are happy with what they have submitted already, their image
will remain in its 'submitted' state. Of course, you can always create a new
work.

The precise procedures to do so will be explained later.

Again, this was not an easy decision to take. I'm painfully aware of how
difficult this must be for the POVCOMP participants. We hope, however, that
these 3 extra months will result in many exceptional pictures.

Gilles Tran

--
http://www.oyonale.com