POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Quality triggers : Re: Quality triggers Server Time
24 Apr 2024 08:54:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quality triggers
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 11 Sep 2004 16:41:58
Message: <41436316@news.povray.org>

news:web.413f47f5228b7640de2762960@news.povray.org...
> In My Entry to pov comp I have several function based heightfields. In the
> Render of the final image I will only need to use a heightfield of around
> 800 by 1000 triangles but in the close ups I will need a much larger
> number. Am I allowwed to change a trigger when rendering the close ups(and
> the large image in the unlikely case that I win) to avoid unneccessary
> parse times when redering the final image.

Hello

Sorry for the delay. Using my TAG Member magic cap, here's the official
answer.

- The scene code for the entire scene and the close ups should be the same,
so using different values for function based height fields is not allowed.
Choose the maximum heightfield resolution you can afford for all renders.
The close-ups must look good, but they do not have to look as good as the
submitted image (for instance, in the http://www.povcomp.com/samples/ page,
the first close up shows that the tree leaves lack definition).

- You can write in the text that the resolution can be increased if enough
ressources are available, and you can provide such "quality triggers" in the
code. That way, it will be possible to produce an even better image if
necessary.

Gilles Tran

--
http://www.oyonale.com