POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : An Open Letter to Joel Hruska from the developers of POV-Ray : Re: An Open Letter to Joel Hruska from the developers of POV-Ray Server Time
16 Apr 2024 05:09:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An Open Letter to Joel Hruska from the developers of POV-Ray
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 17 Aug 2004 02:24:41
Message: <4121a4a9@news.povray.org>
In article <41219ce7@news.povray.org> , "Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote:

> Hmm. It seems to me that the letter (Chris' posting) was saying "our
> benchmark file makes heavy use of noise because it's a good measurement of
> CPU performance," whereas you were saying "mediasky.pov makes heavy use of
> noise and is therefore a bad measurement of CPU performance."

But that is not what I said.  I said that "mediasky.pov" uses it
*exclusively*, which says exactly nothing about the use of noise in the
benchmark file.  Everything else is something you are reading into what we
say but that we do not say at all.

> I guess the points were that mediasky.pov uses noise too much whereas

No, I am not saying "too much", I am saying *exclusively*.  "Too much" could
be 80%, 90% or 95% or whatever one thinks, the word exclusively means 100%
and it does not have anything in common with the term "too much"!

Either way, we wrote this as an open letter and we posted that letter here
for reading and discussion of what is said about the article we are
responding to.  We are not asking anybody to review our open letter.  We
reviewed it in the team and the version we posted is the final version we
*already* used.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde