POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : "Prior Art" Explained? : Re: "Prior Art" Explained? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 09:26:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Prior Art" Explained?
From: Ken
Date: 8 Aug 2004 15:17:17
Message: <41167c3d@news.povray.org>
"Tim Soderstrom" <tig### [at] sticnet> wrote in message
news:pan### [at] sticnet...
> I was just curious as to what Prior Art actually means. I know it means
> the obvious (that I can't use an image I have already made); but does this
> encompass all images that I have made or just those that I have released.
> Also if it is the latter, what does released mean? For example, if I
> created an image a few months ago and did not put it, say, on my own site,
> can I still continue to work on it and submit that?
>
> I guess the root of my question is what does release mean? :) I put up a
> scene on my website, but few people go to it and actually I am still
> working on the image itself (adjusting some radiosity, blur, camera, and
> composition) since I found a few whoopsies that I wanted to work on. Does
> that count as prior art?

The organizers want entrants to create an image soley for this competition.
If you started an image 6mo. ago, before you knew this competition was
going to be held, then it would qualify as "prior art". Start something new
and do not to rely on scenes you have already started work on.

Simply put: Be original.

Be aware, that the judges will be judging you not only on the overall visual
impact of your image, but also the mastery of the creation and use of the
objects and elements of your scene. Originality for the contest is not only
encouraged but will give you a better chance of placing in the winning
column.

> Also, when can we register?

Registration is now open to all who wish to do so.

> Also, there is a space on the website that says "REGISTER NOW" but I
> can't click on the link?

I just tried it and it worked for me. Try clearing your cookies and web cache/
history file and try again. If you can't register after that let me know what
platform you are on and what web browser you are using and I'll investigate
further for you.

--
Ken