POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Hmm, do I interpret these rules correctly? : Re: Hmm, do I interpret these rules correctly? Server Time
16 Apr 2024 19:51:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hmm, do I interpret these rules correctly?
From: Rune
Date: 8 Aug 2004 04:08:12
Message: <4115df6c$1@news.povray.org>
Samuel Benge wrote:
> I take this to mean I can't use my 'luminous bloom' filter, which is
> made with POV-Ray? The filter takes a rendered image, slaps it onto a
> plane and spreads out the highlights. It is all raytraced completely
> within POV.

I think it violates both the spirit and the letters of the rules. In the
image submitted, which is a direct result of a POV-Ray render, the only
thing that is raytraced is a plane. That the plane has an image_map (or
similar) and that this image_map happens to be created using POV-Ray also is
irrelevant, since the image in the image_map is not the image that is
submitted.

I think rule f is referring exactly to filters such as your 'luminous bloom'
filter.

> Wouldn't my filter show off POV's abilities in yet another useful way,
> making it nearly 'on par' with the expensive rendering packages?

I guess that using POV-Ray as a 2d image manipulative tool is not what the
competition is about, and to make that clear, they prohibited it completely.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com