POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Re: Welcome to POVCOMP 2004! : Re: Welcome to POVCOMP 2004! Server Time
19 Apr 2024 08:04:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Welcome to POVCOMP 2004!
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 6 Aug 2004 22:49:12
Message: <41144328$1@news.povray.org>
"David Karl" <dka### [at] asninccom> wrote in message
> mmmmm.....  Ramen.....
>
> Well, the rules are up; time to get cracking.  I must say though, I was
> really hoping one of the conditions would be *providing source*.  I mean,
> it's optional, and must be available to provide to the moderators on
demand,
> but it would've been cool to require any posted / winning images to
divulge
> the source so all the POV junkies (like me) could spend our hours watching
> the pixels appear.
>
> But, I understand the downside, where many authors would be protective of
> their hard-tuned source, and not want others to steal some of the finer
> points, so they simply wouldn't compete in the competition.  And I'm sure
> others worry about the 50 megs of meshes they're using : ) but I'd be glad
> to donate web space.

As I understand it, there is nothing wrong with using proprietary models
(e.g. Poser (TM) models).  If that's the case, it would be a serious legal
problem to distribute those models.  Technically, it could be a legal
problem to even give them to the moderators, but I doubt anyone would be
sued over that, since the source is later destroyed (not to mention the fact
that they [whoever they are] would be suing their customer base over a
trivial issue).

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com