POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Pov-Ray With Subdivision (Pov-Sub) v0.02 available : Re: Pov-Ray With Subdivision (Pov-Sub) v0.02 available Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:32:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov-Ray With Subdivision (Pov-Sub) v0.02 available
From: Xiaobin Wu
Date: 24 May 2004 22:32:37
Message: <40b2b045$1@news.povray.org>
"Alessandro Falappa" <don### [at] nessunoit> wrote in message

> - When is subdivision performed?
The subdivision is done at the end of parsing. And the new subdivided
mesh is kept in memory and ray-traced. Clearly this isn't the optimal
method,
due the memory reason, and the fact that pressing stop won't stop
the parsing process. On-the-fly method would have the advantages,
and again a nice thing to implement next. It will likely kill the
export_mesh option, though.

> - I do not understand the new discard_boundary switch. It discards
> boundary edges that do not meet which conditions?

It discards the new traingles that are on the boundary.
Take a look at figure 3 in the following paper by Bischoff etc.
http://www-i8.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/publications/downloads/loop_render.pdf
This is useful in some occasions, for example what I did in my euro-graphics
2004 paper
(visualizing the loop patches.)

best regards,
Xiaobin