POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.news-submissions : Pov-Ray With Subdivision available : Re: Pov-Ray With Subdivision available Server Time
20 Apr 2024 07:27:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov-Ray With Subdivision available
From: John VanSickle
Date: 12 May 2004 19:51:01
Message: <40A2B85E.F1B90624@hotmail.com>
Xiaobin Wu wrote:

> 4.   This problem is a little bit more complex. When you subdivide an object
>      with open boundary, the behavior of the faces on the boundary is not
> well-defined.
>      The strategy that I used is to simply discard those new boundary faces.
>
>     What happened to the two triangle cases is that there is no more faces
> left after
>     1-step subdivision.
>
>     I fixed the memory allocation error and spit out a warning instead when
> the similar case happens.
>     The object will disappear naturally.
>
>     Eventually one would like to have other strategies on the boundary. But
> that is on currently
>     Wish List.

If you look at the current version of the SSS macros, you'll find ways to
implement border faces.  It's not very difficult.

  http://enphilistor.users4.50megs.com/nsss.htm

If the user has supplied normals, you can use that information to identify
the creases, and support that feature as well.

Regards,
John