POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : using a helix_1 as a coil or helical spring, what is the Parameter P1 exact= : Re: using a helix_1 as a coil or helical spring, what is the Parameter P1 exact= Server Time
18 Apr 2024 22:48:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using a helix_1 as a coil or helical spring, what is the Parameter P1 exact=
From: Enrico Sanna
Date: 13 Jan 2004 12:34:16
Message: <40042C14.90005@tiscali.it>
Hi,

Calculations are quite easy.
P1 tells Povray how many turnings per unit you want. If you, e.g.,
choose to have two turnings on your 3-unit-high helix, and your helix
iso object is four units high (i.e. along y-axis), you'll have 2 divided

by 3 rounds per pov-unit.
Let's suppose you're going to trace a helix two units high, and you want

  it to turn three times around its center. Afterwards, you want that
same helix to stretch up to three units. What will you do? If you want

Hope this'll clear out doubts.

Enrico

rossy wrote:
 > Hallo
 >
 > it follows a cut out of the User Manual:
 > f_helix1(x,y,z, P0, P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, P6)
 >
 > P0 : Number of helixes - e.g. 2 for a double helix
 > P1 : Period - is related to the number of turns per unit length
 > P2 : Minor radius (major radius > minor radius)
 > P3 : Major radius
 > P4 : Shape parameter. If this is greater than 1 then the tube becomes

fatter
 > in the y direction
 > P5 : Cross section type
 > P6 : Cross section rotation angle (degrees)
 > What does "is related to the number of turns per unit length "
exactly mean.

can make
 > a movie of a moving coil spring.

of the