POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Some help with Media please. : Re: Some help with Media please. Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some help with Media please.
From: Hughes, B
Date: 30 Dec 2003 12:16:23
Message: <3ff1b2e7$1@news.povray.org>
"Stephen McAvoy" <mcavoys(at)AOLdotCOM> wrote in message
> I am trying to create a scene that has a visible spotlight. I've got the
> spotlight showing OK but the rest of the scene is under illuminated. The
spot
> and the target are in a Media Container. I have added two omni lights that
don't
> react with Media but they don't do a lot. If I make the omni lights react
with
> Media I get a whiteout. I'm doing this in Moray so a scene would have a
lot of
> junk in it.

Common occurance when dealing with scattering media, it obscures things like
smokey air. You have the color value at rgb 1.0 (scattering amount) which is
typically too high to see through. While that can make a light source
brighter in its vicinity it doesn't work well at a distance, nor for objects
more distant from the camera. Also, even if you lower extinction to zero it
remains as opaque as before and doesn't help with transparency. So, you'll
need to lower the scattering color values instead. Can also use a density
statement with smaller value than the default of rgb 1. Basically, you'll be
adjusting all those values until you get what looks appropriate.

As to the additional lights you added to help illuminate the scene... I
would say you would cause unwanted affects (hilights, diffuse surfaces,
oversaturation) by brightening the scene using those (with large light
source color values), so probably not a good idea to do that.

--
Bob H.
http://www.3digitaleyes.com