POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : assumed_gamma : assumed_gamma Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  assumed_gamma
From: Slashdolt
Date: 30 May 2003 15:47:09
Message: <3ed7b53d$1@news.povray.org>
I still don't understand how I should use assumed_gamma.  I've read the
documentation and it seems to conflict with itself.

"For PC systems, the most common display gamma is 2.2, while for scenes
created on Macintosh systems should use a scene gamma of 1.8. Another gamma
value that sometimes occurs in scenes is 1.0."

then later it says:

"For new scenes, you should use an assumed gamma value of 1.0 as this models
how light appears in the real world more realistically."

So is there a preferred setting?  I've noticed that with assumed_gamma 1.0,
I end up having textures with extremely low rgb values (< 0.1), just to get
the texture dark enough.  I've also noticed that the T_Wood textures
generally look really bad at assumed_gamma 1.0 under most lighting
conditions.

I've been using higher values recently (around 2.0).  Does that mean that
light is not modelled realistically?

--
Slash