POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Spider Crawling Along a Path 2 : Re: Spider Crawling Along a Path 2 Server Time
24 Apr 2024 17:32:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spider Crawling Along a Path 2
From: Rune
Date: 4 Nov 2001 18:12:05
Message: <3be5cb45@news.povray.org>
"Batronyx" wrote:
> I'm very impressed with your various walking routines.

Thank you!

> Given that, I hate to offer any critical feedback.

But constructive critical feedback is what I appreciate the most! :)

> Some of the legs on the inside turns seem to have only
> minimal forward motion, so they look like they're just
> moving up and down in place.

Sharp turns should in fact indeed cause this behavior as I see it. I don't
think a leg can just skip a turn - it goes up and down even if it doesn't
move much forward.

However, apparently there is another problem with the steps being too small
(glad you noticed it too). I've been looking into that, but it's more
difficult to fix than I thought at first. I'll try to fix it though.

One interesting note: in an updated version of the animation that I've made
but not posted here the spider is hairy and looks more realistic, and I've
got rid of the checker pattern on the ground. The individual frames look
much better, but for some reason that I haven't figured out yet, the
animation looks like stop-motion, like monsters in old movies. That's not
what I'm aiming for so I'm trying to figure out what causes it. It might be
some changes I've done to the walk cycle - or some bugs in my code...

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated June 26)