POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Raiosity again : Re: Raiosity again Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:26:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Raiosity again
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 5 Jun 2001 21:20:21
Message: <3b1d8555@news.povray.org>
"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote...
> So the algorithm itself works well (as we can see from Radiance). It's
just
> the implementation in POV-Ray that has some problems.

True.  It bugs me every time someone thinks that POV's algorithm is less
realistic because it is not "real" radiosity.  The goal is not "radiosity",
but rather "indirect illumination."  The radiosity algorithm is one way to
estimate indirect illumination, and monte carlo raytracing is simply another
method.  Both methods can produce either good or bad estimates, depending on
how much processor time you give them.

-Nathan