POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : is this bug or floating point error (noise on torus) : is this bug or floating point error (noise on torus) Server Time
24 Apr 2024 03:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  is this bug or floating point error (noise on torus)
From: Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba
Date: 9 Mar 2001 10:40:37
Message: <3aa8f975@news.povray.org>
Currently I play a lot with orthographic camera.
I found that going away with location of camera makes torus very strange.
There is sentence in docu that "If the torus renders improperly you may add the
keyword sturm to use POV-Ray's slower-yet-more-accurate Sturmian root solver."
(btw. this is in "torus" section - but in section "sturm" there is no torus on
the list).
Well, I have added this keyword and IMO without result. This apperar in POV-Ray
3.1g for Windows on WinNT4 with 128 MB and with MegaPOV 0.7 on the same machine.
Run below code with S=1,10 and 100.

#declare S=1; /* 1,10,100 */
camera{orthographic location -(10*S)*z direction z right x up y*3/4
look_at -9*z}
light_source{<-30, 30, -30> color rgb 1 translate <-30, 30, -30>}
torus{.1 .04 /*sturm*/ texture{pigment{color rgb 0.5}}}

ABX