POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PowerMac G5 implications : Re: PowerMac G5 implications Server Time
28 Mar 2024 10:33:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PowerMac G5 implications
From: Mark Weyer
Date: 25 Jun 2003 04:48:06
Message: <3EF96227.8030804@informatik.uni-freiburg.de>
> Yes, I suppose you *could* do this. It depends on whether you value
> processor or memory more. It would add overhead to check all those
> flags, as well as code complexity making the program harder to maintain
> and extend, and increasing worst-case memory consumption, all for very
> little benefit. Memory usage could be improved in places, and data
> structures shifted around for more efficient general use, but I don't
> think this idea will be useful for anything but than the most
> memory-hungry structures.

I have often run out of memory (I tend to make overly detailed scenes)
but am unlikely to run out of patience just by a factor of 2. Plus, I
do not assume the factor in runtime to be that high. What portion of
the runtime is due to pointer reference anyway?

So, I would be happy for any option (I agree it should not be the
default) that trades memory usage for time usage in a reasonable way.

--
merge{#local i=-11;#while(i<11)#local
i=i+.1;sphere{<i*(i*i*(.05-i*i*(4e-7*i*i+3e-4))-3)10*sin(i)30>.5}#end