POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : NURBS Bend (16KB) : Re: NURBS Bend (16KB) Server Time
25 Apr 2024 09:47:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS Bend (16KB)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 23 Jul 2002 17:41:49
Message: <3D3DCE10.90AE99BD@hotmail.com>
Hugo wrote:

> That's a very nice shape. It has something "useful" to it. Have you been
> able to reduce the calculation time of your macros?

The problem with my current NURBS macros is that they build HUGE functions.
(I.e.: These functions are slow to evaluate.)

In order to make some NURBS macros that builds smaller functions, I need a
set of macros that will will do calculations with matrices and polynomials.

I'm about to finish such a set of such support macros. It is a lot of work
to figure out how to make these macros efficient, easy to use and to decide
how to organize the data that "wanders" between them.

(I suspect that the time to build the functions will be longer. But since
the functions will be smaller and faster to evaluate; I expect that the
total parsing time will be shorter.)

> The shape gives me an idea: Maybe it's easy to make interesting lathes
> with nurbs. Something to try out!

I have have done some successful experiments lately with B-splines that
follows circular arcs. The next thing I will try to do is to make splines
that follows elliptical arcs (and other conic sections) and then use them
in NURBS surfaces.

So "advanced" lathes, extrusions and cross sections that follows splines
shouldn't thereafter be very difficult to do.

Tor Olav