POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Certainly NOT an iso-image (62KB) : Re: Certainly NOT an iso-image (62KB) Server Time
20 Apr 2024 07:02:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Certainly NOT an iso-image (62KB)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 16 Dec 2000 19:36:49
Message: <3A3C09D6.8998B696@online.no>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> > So now I'm very tempted to leave the isos
> > for a while and do some CSG-images.
> > They used to render faster than 1 pps !
>
> I know that feeling, everything above one hour per line can be *really*
> boring.  For example if you come back after half an hour, look at the
> screen and recognize from the picture, that it's still working on the same
> line.  In addition if you use radiosity you cannot interrupt and later
> continue the render that easily.

I haven't dared to try radiosity yet.
I'm afraid that I will get addicted to that too,
and then I'll become even more frustrated because
of my slow PC.    :(

> > One thing bugs me though: The fact that
> > now I'm sitting here wondering if this
> > image could have been done with a couple
> > of iso-surfaces (@ 1E-6 pps on my P100 :)
> IMO it should be possible to do it with *one* isosurface although it would
> really be a long function.

But wouldn't one be needed for each texture ?
(I.e. 2 for this image)

Or is there some smart way to control the
texture "directly" within the iso-surface ?

> But if it parses at all, i doubt it would
> render that slow.

But it would FEEL that slow !  :)

Btw.: Wouldn't it be a good idea to have POV
changing from pps to spp (seconds per pixel)
when the rendering drops below 1 pps ?

Thanks for commenting.

Best regards,

Tor Olav