POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Certainly NOT an iso-image (62KB) : Re: Certainly NOT an iso-image (62KB) Server Time
24 Apr 2024 11:42:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Certainly NOT an iso-image (62KB)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 16 Dec 2000 03:20:19
Message: <3A3B25C3.8CE15EA0@gmx.de>
Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:

> I just browsed through my older renderings
> and found this one that I did one year ago.
>
> Seeing this image reminds me of those days
> when I could render an image and actually
> WATCH while the image was being rendered.
>
> So now I'm very tempted to leave the isos
> for a while and do some CSG-images.
> They used to render faster than 1 pps !

I know that feeling, everything above one hour per line can be *really*
boring.  For example if you come back after half an hour, look at the
screen and recognize from the picture, that it's still working on the same
line.  In addition if you use radiosity you cannot interrupt and later
continue the render that easily.

> One thing bugs me though: The fact that
> now I'm sitting here wondering if this
> image could have been done with a couple
> of iso-surfaces (@ 1E-6 pps on my P100 :)
>
> Hmmm... Maybe I'm a little bit mad...

IMO it should be possible to do it with *one* isosurface although it would
really be a long function.  But if it parses at all, i doubt it would
render that slow.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>