POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Inside the Crackle pattern (161KB) : Re: Inside the Crackle pattern => Source posted & Some problems (30KB + 28KB) Server Time
28 Mar 2024 17:53:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inside the Crackle pattern => Source posted & Some problems (30KB + 28KB)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 18 Oct 2000 17:06:03
Message: <39EE10BA.B2DFA1CC@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:

[...]
> After studying the image, I have now found that there seems to
> bee some problems with this rendering: Some of the spheres are
> not completely round and some "false" odd shaped shadows
> appear.
>
> See the first attached image.
> (Yellow arrows for cut spheres and red arrows for false shadows.)
>
> Has anyone else seen these kind of errors with iso-surfaces before ?
>
> If I remove my no_shadow keyword from the code, then many
> more "odd shaped" shadows appear. See the last attached image.

I had a quick look at the code, your isosurface function does have abrupt
changes of values and those often cause problems (i had problems when using
object_pattern in isosurface functions for example) increasing max_gradient or
accuracy might help, but in general functions with abrupt changes are not ideal
for isosurface functions.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>