POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Concave shapes (43KB) : Re: Concave shapes (43KB) Server Time
20 Apr 2024 07:30:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Concave shapes (43KB)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 8 Oct 2000 18:30:52
Message: <39E0F57C.F4D1F1E0@hotmail.com>
John VanSickle wrote:

> Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> >
> > Yesterday I did some more work on some CSG-macros of mine.
> > They will "round off" any concave shape made with intersections
> > of planes, like the upper left shape.
>
> Nota bene:  The shapes depicted are convex, not concave.

Ugghh...  -How did that happen ?!

I even looked up convex in the dictionary
to make sure that this wasn't only a
norwegian word before I wrote the post.

> > The lower right shape shows how the resulting shape looks
> > like if both the edges and corners are wounded off.
> >
> > The rendering is slow, so now I'm working on the macro
> > so that it will render much faster.
>
> It's possible that making each face into a prism will help.
> This might be difficult, however.

Yes I think you're right. I like that idea.
Prisms would probably make it faster.

It would not be very difficult. The needed
data are already available within my macros.
But it will be some work determining how
data should be passed between the different
macros in an efficient way.

There's one problem with prisms though:
The "stones" could not be used in further
CSG operations. E.g. like I did in my image;
"Two spheres" posted to this news group 26.
April:

The two metal spheres are put inside the
"space" cut out by a convex shape "rounded off"
by some preliminary versions of these macros.

Tor Olav

--
mailto:tor### [at] hotmailcom
http://www.crosswinds.net/~tok/tokrays.html