POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : (Off topic) General modelling programs? : Re: (Off topic) General modelling programs? Server Time
23 Apr 2024 08:27:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (Off topic) General modelling programs?
From: Alan
Date: 13 Jul 2000 02:36:16
Message: <396d6360$1@news.povray.org>
TigerHawk <tig### [at] sticnet> wrote in message
| First, done misunderstand me - Pov-Ray is wonderful and amazing (as is
| Moray, btw). But for a current project I am undertaking, I need
| something that is more general - for on the fly based rendering so I
| need a general format for objects (not scenes, but actual objects). I've
| been hunting around the povray links page and have yet to find something
| that might work for me (aside from sPatch, but I also need more precise
| inorganic objects that can be done in sPatch, but not easily :) so I was
| hoping someone could direct me somewhere to a freeware, or better but,
| no cost modeller that can output in more standard file formats (even a
| RAW would work :)

Have you seen Blender?
http://www.blender.nl/

Here's a page with a big list of mesh generation software:
http://www-users.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~roberts/software.html#public_domain

I wouldn't worry too much about file formats as you could always convert them
later using, for instance, 3DWin:
http://www.stmuc.com/thbaier/

If it's non-organic objects you're after, why not use CSG modeling within
POV-Ray itself?

Bye.