POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Trigonometry : Re: Trigonometry Server Time
23 Apr 2024 22:05:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trigonometry
From: Josh English
Date: 21 Jun 2000 19:32:37
Message: <39515074.16821BB5@spiritone.com>
Given any triangle with vertices A,B, and C, and their opposing sides, a,b,and
c, the Law of Sines states: (The Points and their angles are refered to by the
same capital letters, the lengths of the sides are in lower case)
(sin A)/a = (sin B)/b = (sin C)/c.
The Law of cosines states:

a^2 = b^2 + c^2 -2bc cos A
b^2 = a^2 + c^2 -2ac cos B
c^2 = a^2 + b^2 -2ab cos C.

in POV-Ray terms, cos A can be found with vdot(B-A,C-A)/a,c. (In the vdot, use
the position vectors, not the angles at those points. Maybe I should have been
clearer.)

Josh

--
Josh English