POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Does anyone just use Povray? : Re: Does anyone just use Povray? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 04:34:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does anyone just use Povray?
From: Ken
Date: 17 Jun 2000 23:17:30
Message: <394C3E8B.8FBAFB0D@pacbell.net>
Phead wrote:

> Hey, Im using Moray, and Ive noticed alot of talk about Pov code. Does
> anyone just use Povray for modelling? Isn't that pretty hard to visualize?

  As the official "Link Master" around here I have visited the pages
of just about every modeller ever made with support for POV-Ray and
most of the utility programs as well. I have downloaded and tried a
good many of them too. Like the others however I am hopelessly addicted
to typing my scenes out into a text based editor.
 With the addition of while loops and math operators in POV-Ray v3.0
the scene description language became that much more powerful and
there is not much if anything you can't do in plain text that you
can do with a GUI modelling program.
 There are however many people that stick to modellers alone and
put out some terrific work. It really depends on what you are
comfortable with and what makes you the most productive. As one
person mentioned they switched from Moray to text to learn more
about the code. This will help you understand POv-Ray's features
better and it will also allow you to use features that Moray has
no support for. It wouldn't hurt to try both and see what works
best for you.