POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Will the POV-Team support the logo competition? : Re: Will the POV-Team support the logo competition? Server Time
24 Apr 2024 01:46:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Will the POV-Team support the logo competition?
From: Rune
Date: 29 Apr 2000 20:40:38
Message: <390b8106@news.povray.org>
"Ken" wrote:
> The last round had all entries restricted
> to a square aspect ration of 1:1. I see no
> reason for this. There is a POV-Ray logo
> that the POV-Team is currently using at
> povray.org that does not conform to this
> aspect ratio and I personally think a 1:1
> ratio artistically limiting.

The logo isn't limited to a square. Only the max width and height of the
image containing the logo.
You could see that many of the submitted logos for the "old" competition
were not square-formed. If the image size shouldn't be limited by a max
width and height, then we'd just have to find another way to define a limit.

> This logo http://www.povray.org/images/povlogo.gif,
> which has an aspect ration of about 3.2:1,
> was created by the POV-Ray legend Truman
> Brown using POV-Ray and was enhanced using
> PhotoShop. I think that an aspect ration
> where the horizontal dimension exceeds the
> vertical dimension should be allowed.

There must be some limit. The question is how the limit should be defined.

> As can be seen in Truman's logo a high
> level of craftsmanship has been achieved.
> While it would be nice if a logo can be
> reduced to a two tone black and white
> representation and still be recognizable
> it should not be a mandatory rule.

I disagree. If a logo is detailed, it is not always easy recognizable in
various, possible low resolutions. But a logo with few details is easy
recognizable in any format. Furthermore a simple logo can be presented in
various ways, and can be made more detailed and interesting. Different
people could make different versions/ways of presenting the logo.

Summarize: A detailed logo is always detailed and inflexible while a simple
logo can be presented in both simple and detailed ways, and is more
flexible.

> The letters "POV" while often used as a
> short hand for POV-Ray is not a trademark
> of the program or of the POV-Team. It
> would be nice to see more entries that
> actually use the full name of the program
> (more information on this to follow in
> the official response).

I agree.

Greetings,

Rune

---
Updated April 25: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,