POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Will the POV-Team support the logo competition? : Re: Will the POV-Team support the logo competition? Server Time
24 Apr 2024 10:27:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Will the POV-Team support the logo competition?
From: Ken
Date: 29 Apr 2000 18:57:15
Message: <390B6688.D00AC19B@pacbell.net>
Rune wrote:

> "Ken" wrote:
> > I have been in touch with some of the
> > POV-Team members but so far I have no
> > definitive answer as what role they
> > are willing to take in this contest.
> > I'll let you know as soon as more of
> > them have had time to respond and put
> > together an official response for you.
>
> Thank you! I'll be waiting... :-)

  In the mean time you may want to work a little on getting opinions on
the submission rules for the competition. For example the last round had
all entries restricted to a square aspect ration of 1:1. I see no reason
for this. There is a POV-Ray logo that the POV-Team is currently using
at povray.org that does not conform to this aspect ratio and I personally
think a 1:1 ratio artistically limiting.

  This logo http://www.povray.org/images/povlogo.gif, which has an aspect
ration of about 3.2:1, was created by the POV-Ray legend Truman Brown
using POV-Ray and was enhanced using PhotoShop. I think that an aspect
ration where the horizontal dimension exceeds the vertical dimension
should be allowed.

  As can be seen in Truman's logo a high level of craftsmanship has
been achieved. While it would be nice if a logo can be reduced to
a two tone black and white representation and still be recognizable
it should not be a mandatory rule.

  The letters "POV" while often used as a short hand for POV-Ray is
not a trademark of the program or of the POV-Team. It would be nice
to see more entries that actually use the full name of the program
(more information on this to follow in the official response).

These are my own opinions and not necessarily those of the POV-Team or
the POV-Ray TAG.