POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New logo competition? : Re: New logo competition? Server Time
24 Apr 2024 18:38:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New logo competition?
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 21 Apr 2000 14:59:50
Message: <3900A44B.5B6A1789@skynet.be>
Rune wrote:
> Several people have showed their dissatisfaction with the current POV-Ray
> Logo Competition.

..(looking up and whistling)...

> In case a whole new competition is made, the results of this competition are
> practically useless. We can, however, use it to see which logos have
> potential.

It's certainly not useless.  There's plenty to learn from that
experience.
Let's get this voting process finished (maybe shorten the deadline, 1
month
is very long for just 16 logos), and use the results as a basis to
understand
WHY the "awarded" logos are good.  I'm pretty sure that almost every
"designer" feels that there is a very wide room for improvement, and
that
even the "winner" will be dissatisfied (artistically speaking) if his
(are there "her's" ? I don't think so) logo was used "as is".

> In case people generally think that we should arrange a new competition,
> here's some ideas I have for it:
>
> Better logo definitions.
> Better discussion about what a logo is, and clearer definition of which
> requirements the submitted logos should follow. Discussion about in which
> form the final logos must be submitted. These discussions must be done
> *before* the logos are created.

Yep.  You already know my Point Of View about that.

> Better voting rules.
> Better discussion about the voting rules. We could for example include a
> voting option that will enable us to see how many people who support the
> logos. This discussion must be done *before* the voting begins.

Maybe giving points to each logo instead of ranking would help to
discernate
if a logo is "best liked" or "less disliked", or even if the whole set
of logos is mature enough to deserve being oficially used.  Maybe there
could be points by criterias (artistic, concept, tech, errr... sorry :).
Of course, it would make the voting process a little more complicated.

> More people.
> I've heard about some French POV-Ray newsgroups, and I guess there's also
> some Japanese, and maybe others. I think we should get the people in all
> those newsgroups involved, both in creating logos, and in the voting. This
> will require a lot of organization, but I hope it could be arranged.

As Ken said, it already happens, in a rather transparent manner (people
in the french group tend to frequent povray.org too...)

> More time.
> I would think a deadline for the submission of logos could be the end of
> year 2000. This would give plenty (but not too much) of time to discuss the
> logo requirements, the logos, the voting rules, and all the other things.

I think the "designers" had enough time this time (approx. 2 months, no
?).
We should also care about not letting the things fade by disinterest,
and the creative process must remain as spontaneous as possible (tough
I know by experience how hard it is to get a good balance between
spontaneity
and maturity)

Cheers,
Fabien.