POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New logo competition? : New logo competition? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 07:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  New logo competition?
From: Rune
Date: 21 Apr 2000 12:14:25
Message: <39007e61@news.povray.org>
Hi all.

Several people have showed their dissatisfaction with the current POV-Ray
Logo Competition.

It is too late to change any logos or any rules in the current competition.

Will the current competition do, or should we make a completely new one?

In case a whole new competition is made, the results of this competition are
practically useless. We can, however, use it to see which logos have
potential.

In case people generally think that we should arrange a new competition,
here's some ideas I have for it:

Better logo definitions.
Better discussion about what a logo is, and clearer definition of which
requirements the submitted logos should follow. Discussion about in which
form the final logos must be submitted. These discussions must be done
*before* the logos are created.

Better voting rules.
Better discussion about the voting rules. We could for example include a
voting option that will enable us to see how many people who support the
logos. This discussion must be done *before* the voting begins.

Logo improvement.
Better discussions about the individual logos, so that they can be improved
as much as possible. These discussions must all be done *before* the logos
are submitted.

More people.
I've heard about some French POV-Ray newsgroups, and I guess there's also
some Japanese, and maybe others. I think we should get the people in all
those newsgroups involved, both in creating logos, and in the voting. This
will require a lot of organization, but I hope it could be arranged.

More time.
I would think a deadline for the submission of logos could be the end of
year 2000. This would give plenty (but not too much) of time to discuss the
logo requirements, the logos, the voting rules, and all the other things.

More organization.
We need less confusion and clearer rules. We need to make rules good enough
*before* they are put into function, and not *after*. We need to keep track
on things, make plans, and have real deadlines... I will need people to help
me!

Official support.
After all rules has been made, but before the winner logo is chosen, I would
like the POV-team to say whether or not they will officially support the
logo that wins. It must be before the winner logo is chosen, because what
they must decide is whether they will accept the choice of the users or not.

So what do you think of this?

I hope to get as many replies as possible, because it seems that many people
care about this.

Greetings,

Rune

---
Updated March 15: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,