POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Language of POV-Ray : Re: The Language of POV-Ray Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:16:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Language of POV-Ray
From: Ron Parker
Date: 14 Mar 2000 08:36:03
Message: <38ce4043$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 00:45:19 -0500, Glen Berry wrote:
>As for custom-patched versions of POV, every new patch should come
>with multiple examples of each new keyword and concept that are
>introduced. If the patch is available for Windows, then appropriate
>insert-menu addtions should be offered with the patch as well.

Thanks for your input, but if I had to live by those rules I never would
have released the superpatch into the wild and people would still be
complaining about how many different patches there are.  Programmers do not
make good writers, and vice versa.  Ideally, someone would volunteer to fix
the docs and make insert-menu stuff and create example scene files, but all
y'all do is bitch about how much better *we* could do.  Small wonder I
stopped doing the superpatch, eh?

>I'm not a serious programmer, but I've always thought that the main
>obstacle to plugins was the attitude of the POV-Team being against
>such things. I thought some people had already proposed workable ideas
>for implementing plugins, but the POV-Team firmly refused the concept.

I'm one of those who proposed plugins before I was a member of the team.
As I understand it, the idea was seriously discussed and ultimately
rejected because of cross-platform compatibility issues.  Perhaps after
the next round of changes (which I can't discuss now) some of those issues
will go away, but I can almost guarantee that someone, somewhere, will be
so upset by those ultimately useful changes that they'll organize a jihad.