POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : how the **** do you make NICE grass ? : Re: how the **** do you make NICE grass ? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 00:27:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how the **** do you make NICE grass ?
From: Lewis Sellers
Date: 15 Nov 1998 08:46:30
Message: <364ECCED.21D90E1D@usit.net>
Peter Popov wrote:

> See the FNORD animation and source in the respective newsgroups on this
> server. This scene by Misha Moldavskuy aka Heretic features the best grass
> I've seen in POV. Also, there was a post on using media to simulate fur,
> check it out too (article "Fur" by Shinzano, posted in p-r.b.i. on Aug 6,
> 98)
>
> Peter

You could of course always "cheat". Do some computations to figure out
the distance from the camera where grass should be, and if far enough
away just use texturing instead of objects. Not tried it. Might work.
get rid of a couple hundred thousand cones or so I'd guess.

Hmm. You could also try multiple height fields. Maybe three. slightly
pitched about with a rotate so that the grass can overlap.... hmm. If
you precompute a few cycles of grass into height fields you could even
do some "wind through grass" effects by sliding and tilting the hf's.
Tricky. but maybe.....

In the end, it doesn't matter if it structurely looks like a blade of
grass, only that it looks like a blade of grass enough that no one
notices otherwise. :)

--min

--
Lewis A. Sellers: writer and contract Multimedia Website Developer
mailto:lse### [at] usitnet (The Fourth Millennium Foundation)

You can bug the living bejesus out of me live on ICQ @ 491461
(If I don't get back to you within a month, I'm out of prozac in some
dark corner somewhere screaming things quite unintelligable but -- most
curiously -- thick with a sumerian accent.)

"The comedy is over" -i pagliacci